Wednesday, October 13, 2010

There Goes the Glitz

I knew it was a bad sign when people started putting rhinestones on t-shirts. People just don't have a high regard for glitz anymore. Now comes word that after thirty-one years of operation the Liberace museum is closing.

I have only been ot Las Vegas once. I stayed at a little bed and breakfast run by a man who had served as Liberace's cook for several years. Like every guest he ever had  I asked him what kind of person Liberace was. He assured me that he was a very nice man who treated him very well.

Several performers from Vegas productions of Broadway shows will offer a tribute on Sunday afternoon Oct. 17th, the day it will close.

I didn't get to go to the museum when I was there. I intended to. I drove my rental car to the location but it was a Sunday and it was closed. It sat on the corner of a little strip mall. It was apparent even then that the museum was falling on hard times. Half of the stores in the strip mall were unoccupied.

A Playbill.com article quoted Jeff Koen, chairman of the Liberace Foundation regarding the closing; "On behalf of the Board of Directors, we feel it is important to close the Museum to ensure the future of the Liberace Foundation and to keep the legacy of Liberace alive ."

He was a huge TV star in the fifties. I remember his appearance on TV specials with "dancing waters"
Liberace never came out. (But he did drop a few hints) He didn't think his fans would accept it. He may have been right but you just have to wonder if the blue dye they were using for their hair effected their reasoning capability. Never trust a man that has higher hair and more jewelry than you do.

The items will be maintained and a touring exhibit is planned. I wouldn't be surprised if they found a permanent home in Branson someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment