Saturday, October 2, 2010

Teach: Tony Danza

How I stumbled onto this series on A&E I have no idea but judging from the first episode I think it is one of the most realistic views of what teaching is like I have ever seen on television. (Unless you count Room 222. If you don't understand that reference you are too young to be reading this blog.) 


Remember when we thought reality TV was real? Or am I the only one naive enough not to realize  that producers were staging about 90% of what I saw on reality television?

 I enjoyed the first couple seasons of  Kathy Griffin's My Life on the D-List until it became successful and became more and more staged. And don't even get me started on The Real Housewives of D.C., Atlanta, New Jersey ad nauseum. If Bravo wants to film real housewives I can direct them to several fine trailer parks in the area. Now that would be television!So I am hoping hoping hoping that the producers don't manipulate too much of this show.


Apparently Tony had always had a desire to teach but followed a different career path that led to taxi driving and house cleaning. He was put through a short course on teaching before beginning his assignment. I do know there are programs set up to help people make the career change into teaching.


The first episode including seeing him being dressed down by an assistant principal, and meeting with the principal on several occasions where she voiced her concern that he not jeopardize the quality of instruction.  I don't know if the assistant was trying to play bad principal to her boss's good principal, was a total ass or was just portrayed that way by the producers. For now. I am going to go with the total ass option. As for the principal she may be sincere, she may be deluding herself or she may just  be blowing smoke. I will give her the benefit of the doubt for now and trust that she is sincere but not for long. I don't get good vibes from this woman. I think the lady doth attest to her commitment to kids too much.


So far the students have shown little regard for Tony's celebrity, claiming they know little about his TV career. So much for the theory that young people are open minded. They seem to have no interest whatsoever in anything that happened before they were born. I can understand them not being interested in history but they could at least watch a little Nick at Nite for heaven's sake.


I particularly loved the conversations Tony had with parents during a football game. Parent after parent let him know they wanted to know immediately if their child fell behind. They didn't want to wait until reports came out to find out that their students were falling behind. He assured them he would not let that happen.

I have news for you Tony. There is no such thing as letting a parent know "in time" that their student is falling behind. No matter when you tell them they will come back with the same tired response. "You should have told me sooner." I can assure you of one thing: whatever happens in that classroom that isn't absolutely ideal is going to be your fault. There is no way out of it. You will be the problem. Oh and by the way, if things do go well, don't expect any recognition for it. Unless the producers want to stage some touchy feely shots for the series finale.


One student in particular was incredibly annoying in the confessional sequences that are the staple of all reality shows. His name was Monte and he assured the viewers that he was an excellent student. He also made it clear that this "starter teacher" was not up to snuff and they he was not going to allow Tony to interfere with his receiving a premiere education.

Lighten up, kid! You aren't at Harvard yet and I doubt seriously it will be up to your standards  when you do finally arrive. In the meantime you are irritating the bejeepers out of me. I will give you credit for doing one thing for me however. I finally found someone on television more irritating than Kate Gosselyn. At least she had to put up with Jon for a few seasons. You have no excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment