Thursday, October 14, 2010

No Driving Through the Chip Aisle

Is it just me or are there more sick people out there lately? I mean the ones that need an electric cart or oxygen tank at Wal-Mart.

Didn't these people used to stay home waiting for Richard Simmons to drop by for an inspirational talk? But because of these electric carts they are now able to get out and shop. I should be happy for them. But I am afraid I am going to run over one of them someday when I am trying to make a quick trip to pick up some Fritos.

Maybe there is something wrong with me but I would be embarrassed to have to use an electric shopping cart. But the people I see on them really seem to be enjoying the ride.Don't they ever get to Six Flags?  I suspect there are people who fight over them. Soon their will be a reality TV show devoted to seeing which contestant can grab the last one.

The greeters at Wal-Mart (many of whom could use a lift themselves) seem to be busy spending more and more of their time getting people settled into them. That's fine with me actually. I am not that friendly. I don't always like to be greeted. I am a little embarrassed by the fact that I have to  shop at Wal-Mart anyway. I would rather sneak in unnoticed.

As soon as they get settled onto their carts it seems the first place they head for is the chip aisle. I really resent this since I spend about 90% of my time in Wal-Mart in the chip aisle and I hate  reaching over those carts.

Now I know there are legitimate reasons for needing a cart; a recent hip replacement perhaps but if the reason you are requesting a cart is the fact you are bearing so much weight you can no longer walk perhaps you ought to (and I only recommend this in extreme situations) head for the fruits and vegetables.

I have also noticed more and more people with personal oxygen tanks out in public.These people worry me. I know this is a personal problem but I am afraid that I am going run over the tiny plastic tube leading from the tank with my shopping cart and suffocate them. I have never smoked but you never know when I am going to start a new bad habit. What if I suddenly lit up and tossed the match onto their oxygen tank? This is all making me extremely anxious.

Perhaps I am just not familiar enough with advances in medical technology. When I hear that someone is on oxygen I assume they are critically ill or at death's door. Every time I see a person on oxygen at Wal-Mart I have to fight my urge to ask them, "Is this trip really necessary?" Unless they're in the pharmacy.

2 comments:

  1. The unfortunate thing about the whole oxygen business is that there are more and more people are being diagnosed with respiratory illnesses like COPD. Don't worry about pinching off their oxygen tubes..they can live for quite a few minutes without oxygen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being one of those who have to use the electric carts at times, I have to say I appreciate them being available to us. Most people look at me strangely when I am on one because to look at me you would think that I am just out for the ride. But having had 3 strokes at times it is difficult for me to walk and having the electric carts makes it to where I don't have to stay home because of peripheral weakness.. so just be patient with us when we get in your way!

    ReplyDelete