Thursday, October 21, 2010

I Wonder if Parental Complaints over GQ's Spicy Glee Shoot Will Hurt Sales

I thought when I retired from teaching I would no longer have to deal with parental complaints but hardly a week goes by without me having to read of parents complaining about what their kids are seeing on TV or online. This week it's the cast of Glee that is stirring up controversy online over a racy photo shoot.

I have to say I am glad that  that my children are no longer of the age where I have to monitor their TV viewing. I never had to monitor their online habits thank goodness. But that is my point. My ex wife and I felt a responsibility to monitor what our children were exposed to.

The parents complaining about Katie Perry's boobs on Sesame Street (I guess I still don't have a dirty enough mind to see what they saw....but I'm working on it) or the Glee cast's recent GQ photo shoot seem to want someone else to do the parental monitoring of the media for them. I am not saying it is easy in this day and age but it is still their responsibility.

My advice to parents that don't want their kids to see GQ: Don't buy it and don't let your kids buy it. Block the websites where they can go to see it. If they get to it before you do, have a little talk with them (If you can tear your husband away from the post long enough to have the chat). 

If you find this offensive why are your kids watching Glee anyway? Are you familiar with the themes this show explores? Hello! They devoted an entire episode to Madonna for heaven's sake and another to Britney Spears. I doubt if either one of them is going to be heading out on a road tour of The Sound of Music anytime soon.

I don't particularly want to see these images myself. I probably wouldn't have paid any attention to the photo shoot if there were no controversy. I am not a huge Lea Michele fan. Watching Glee would be much more enjoyable without her character's histrionics but I don't want you censoring what I see. Deal with your kids yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment