Wednesday, October 20, 2010

No Virginia, There is No Apology

I have never liked voice mail  If she didn't feel the same way until recently, I bet Anita Hill now finds voice mails annoying too. All that number punching...press one to listen....blah blah.

But surely she wasn't expecting to hear a voice mail from Mrs. Clarence Thomas after nineteen years. Of course if she reads the New York Times she might have gotten a clue. After they ran an article critical of Mrs. Thomas tea party activities recently she should have known Virginia would be looking for some way to change the national conversation somehow.

If the confirmation hearings had really been as disturbing as Justice Thomas (how I hate having to type that phrase) claims you would think his good wife wouldn't want to bring up the subject again.

To this day I still check my soda cans for pubic hair. I doubt Anita has had a soft drink from a can in years.

The call was made over the weekend at a time when Mrs. Thomas knew Anita wouldn't be in her office.

It might be fun to imagine what a live conversation would be like. I would love to see the SNL version of this, filled with soda cans popping open in the background.

If the tea party is going to clean up their image they are going to have to work on their spelling, and learn that  a person's right to leave phone messages on someone's machine that doesn't want to speak to you expires long before nineteen years have passed.

I have no regard for the tea party. I can sympathize with their desire to cut government waste. But I have a defeatist attitude about our chances of reducing the cost of government. Every time they do it they cut the services that effect me while earmarks, and kickbacks increase. You can bet that Halliburton and Blackwater will come through any tea party led budget cutting proposals with their funding in place. It's for national security, after all.

One thing is certain. When the tea party calls asking for donations I will let the voice mail get it and pray to heaven that it isn't Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment