Saturday, October 2, 2010

They Had a Revolution Without Me

I hear there was a sexual revolution in the 70's and although I lived through that era I was attending McKendree College at the time. McKendree is a University now. See what I mean? If my college became a university without me knowing it what chance did I have on being included in the sexual antics that may have been going on while I was there? My fraternity brothers were constantly worried I wasn't getting enough action.


So I can relate to the characters in I Love My Wife. They  hear there is a sexual revolution going on but they don't quite have the balls (to pardon an expression) to  handle it.


Larry and I attended the opening night of New Line Theatre's production of I Love My Wife. It was a contemporary musical when it opened in 1977 but today it looks more like a period piece. There is an added layer of fun in this show for any of us that lived through the 70s. I have to admit I miss the days when men didn't wax their chest hair.

There is a lot to like in this production. The cast is first rate. It is fun to watch Sarah Armstrong's transformation during Monica. Emily Berry as Cleo offers a tour de force rendition of Love Revolution in Act I.

 I am trying not to resent Todd Schaefer and Jeffrey M. Wright. One of these guys has to have a flaw somewhere. It isn't fair that God should gave both of them looks, talent and magnificent comic timing. They should be required to pick two. Leave something for the rest of us. The three friends that do some of the backup work are terrific too. Joel Hackbarth stole the spotlight with his inspired work on Everybody Today is Turnin' On.


The sexual revolution isn't the only recent development I missed. Those little Transformer cars came out years after my childhood. The only way I could ever get my hands on one was to take one away from a fourth grader back when  I was still teaching. They still  fascnate me so it's no surprise that I always love it when I see a theatre group making use of a small performance space with sets that transform. I loved Todd Schaefer'set design.

 Not only were Thom Crain's costume designs spot on but they offered a fun if embarassing trip back in time for those of us old enough to have had some of these items in our closets.


Today's new Broadway musicals are often criticized for being remakes of successful (or sometimes unsuccessful) movies. If they were creating this show today they would just remake Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice. This piece could easily have been inspired by that film.

This is hardly what anyone would call a mega-musical. I generally enjoy musicals with bigger themes.( I am especially fond of show with revolutions. This probably is due to the fact that the first Broadway musical  I saw was 1776 on a high school trip to New York and didn't get back  until Les Mis had opened.) But you can always rely on New Line to offer up something different. Even when they do a staple of the musical theatre catalog they strip it down and offer a unique perspective.

 I look forward to seeing them do Wicked in a few years. Given the scale of their shows I doubt Elphaba will be able to fly in that one but I am sure she will be soaring somewhere in her mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment