Friday, October 8, 2010

I Knew This Movie Would Get Bad Reviews

But I went anyway. I always check RottenTomatoes before I head out to the movies and sure enough Life as we Know It got only a 27% critics rating. Sometimes I cancel my plans to see a movie when it is rated that low but this one starred Katherine Heigl so I didn't really care. The fact that it had Josh Duhamel in it didn't hurt either.

This movie is not going to change the world. But it is a perfectly fine movie with two very agreeable stars. I knew going in that it was going to be predictable. Sometimes comedies like this bog down in the middle when the writers decide they need to make a point. Thank goodness that didn't happen here.

I was afraid that the romance they threw in between Katherine Heigle and the lovely Josh Lucas would  mire it down as well but I have to say they got out of that situation pretty efficiently, a little too efficiently perhaps. I wouldn't have minded seeing more of him.

About the only thing that really irritated me (other than the fact neither of the leading men was bare-chested enough) was the fact that Jean Smart, one of my favorite actresses appeared in the film but had nothing to do. I can only imagine that her scenes were edited out. Unfortunately this is one of those films that is good enough for one viewing but might not hold up too well on repeated viewings so renting the DVD just to watch her deleted scenes isn't likely.

Still I wish the critics could just be honest and tell the truth; that the movie is fine if you are looking for light-hearted fare with likable characters. I guess the problem is that there weren't enough explosions unless you are counting the obligatory messy diaper/baby throw up scenes. Hmmmm maybe there were more predictable elements in this thing than I realized. Still I kind of wish it had been worse so I could have written a snarkier account.

1 comment:

  1. Good review. Liked the movie as well Gary!
    It was hilarious yet touching, only someone that has had children could have appreciated the "baby" scenes-ha! Brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete