Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I'm Wearing Purple Today

I am wearing purple today but that isn't unusual. I wear it a lot. It goes so well with the bags under my eyes.
I could never have the color analysis done that was so popular a few years ago. I would be too afraid that purple wasn't in my palette.

We have heard a lot about bullying of gay youth lately. Some have resorted to suicide. No one really knows how many kids kill themselves each year because they are unable to deal with a society that still tells them that they are unacceptable simply for being who they are.

When I young being gay was not an option. You just stayed in the closet. The one thing that the AIDS crisis did was bring homosexuality out of the closet. And although today's youth may be more likely to be out they seem to be facing more and more backlash.

In the last couple weeks I have also heard a few people say, "Everyone gets bullied. It isn't just gay youth." That is true. Jr. high, high school and even college can be tough for everyone. But there are so many gay youth that have no one to turn to even when they are home. They may not be able to find acceptance from their own parents if they come out.

Hopefully someday soon we won't have to have Wear Purple days to support gay youth. Someday we may evolve as a society. But I will still be wearing lots of purple, to paraphrase Shelby from Steel Magnolias, "Purple is my signature color!"

No comments:

Post a Comment