Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Why Don't TV Executives Consult me More Often?

A couple of developments on television have me very upset. The first is that no one consulted me when they were picking out which cities were going to get to see the trial run of Fran Drescher's new daytime TV talk show. St. Louis was not included. Amazing given the fact that if you listen to St. Louis local news you would think that St. Louis were the center of the universe and not the provincial little up-tight burg that it is.

One of the producers on the show is her ex-husband, Peter Marc Jacobson. I feel a special affinity to this couple since their story is very similar to my ex-wife's and mine. He came out to her after twenty years of marriage. They are still close friends.

People always think the wife should have known that their husbands were gay after they come out but there is no way of knowing. Unless you are a mean-spirited person you wouldn't suspect or know someone is gay who doesn't know or admit it to themselves. (Being a mean-spirited person I do usually suspect of course.)

The minute I saw pictures of this guy in a speedo my gaydar went off. Peter definitely falls in the "too cute to be straight" category. Although there are plenty of very cute straight men....you know, like Tom Cruise.

She has another show in development with Jacobson, a sitcom entitled, Happily Divorced based on their own relationship. I wonder if they need a consultant. I was never in television but I have done a lot of community theatre. No wait, on second thought they probably couldn't take that much drama. It's supposed to be a  comedy.


You can see clips from the show on frandrescher.com







The other new development is the complete overhaul of the Early Show on CBS. They have ousted the entire anchor team on that show and are going to replace it with a new crew on Jan. 3.

I have only rarely tuned into The Early Show weekdays but when I have I have enjoyed seeing Harry Smith. He is seems like a pretty regular guy and he doesn't give me the inferiority complex I get from watching Matt Lauer. This has only gotten worse since he started losing his hair. At least before when he looked better than I did I could blame the hair. But the fact that he remained gorgeous without it is more than I can take.

The new team is led by Erica Hill. I watched her on Anderson Cooper 360 but if she were a real news person wouldn't she have outed him by now?

Her co-anchor is Chris Wragge. He just strikes me as the kind of guy that knows he is good looking. He is too arrogant for me. It's as if someone told him he were good looking and he believed them.

The only time I watched The Early Show was on Saturday mornings when Russ Mitchell used to host. I always had to turn it off though by the time they got to the Second Cup Cafe. All the acts were too obscure for me. I felt like I was back at Mckendree College in the early seventies trapped in the shed they called the coffeehouse.

The new news anchor, Jeff Glor is cute but if they are going to get me to watch with the arrogant Chris Wegge around they are going to have to let the even cuter Seth Doane contribute. Otherwise I am sticking with Matt.

No comments:

Post a Comment