Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I Can't Wait...

Despite the fact that I swore to myself I would wait until I got to NYC to buy tickets at the TKTS booth for my trip in Feb., I couldn't help myself and pre-ordered tickets of Other Desert Cities. At least it is playing Off Broadway so I didn't have to pay the full Broadway price.

This new play by Jon Robin Baitz, who created the TV series, Brothers and Sisters is about a young woman who returns to her parents' Palm Springs home after a six year absence. The premise doesn't sound groundbreaking but that is secondary. The reason I want to go is for a chance to see Linda Lavin on stage again.

I went to see her almost twenty years ago when she replaced Madeline Kahn in The Sisters Rosensweig. I was prepared to be disappointed. I didn't think there was any chance that "Alice" from television could fill Madeline Kahn's shoes. I still don't know that she could because I never got to see Madeline Kahn in the role but I do know that I was mesmerized with Linda Lavin's performance. It was impeccable. Every line, every move, every nuance was perfect. I couldn't take my eyes off her.

This play also features Stockard Channing, an actress I have never had the opportunity to see perform livel.

Who knows? Other Desert Cities may be the only show Larry and I get to see in NYC this trip. Everything except Spiderman is closing the first part of Jan. and none of the new shows I am wanting to see, The Book of Mormon or Priscilla Queen of the Desert will even be in previews by the time we get there. I guess that means I will just have to book another trip to NYC soon.

I doubt  that we will go see Spiderman Turn off the Dark. It doesn't sound so much like a musical as a disaster waiting to happen. Besides I don't feel like spending $250 to see if someone is going to fall into a pit. If I want to do that I can buy a metrocard and watch the homeless people teetering on the edge of the subway platforms like I always do when I am in NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment