Thursday, December 23, 2010

More and Less for 2011 (part 2)


I want to see more Maury and less Oprah. Well not really. I cannot endorse Maury in good faith. The show is the biggest waste of air space on television.How many women can there possibly be that don't know who the father of their children is? What am I saying? This is America 2010. But at least a lot of what we see on Maury is fake indignation. I hope so anyway. These people must rehearse for weeks before their appearance. "Now, Sybil, when Maury say, "You are not the father," I be running around wailin' while you fall on the flo'," they must tell one another.

I also know there is less chance of me seeing less of Oprah than there is of Julie Taymor calling me to don a Spiderman outfit on Broadway. (of course if she keeps injuring actors she has to get down to me sometime)

I believe Oprah is just as fake as all those Maury guests. At least Maury seems to be in on the fact that his whole show is a joke. Oprah started to believe her own publicity years ago. It's so bad that one talk show isn't enough. She's starting an entire network called OWN for heaven's sake. There is no end to her self-promotion. She isn't fooling me with those "favorite things" episodes. You know her favorites are all found in the bakery aisle. But you won't see her giving away Twinkies, Ding Dongs or Milky Ways. She's keeping those for herself.



I want to see fewer computer animated films and more movies that have actors in them. And isn't Jack Black bad enough himself without having to see an animated version? Whether real or computer generated he is still an bore.

The last animated film I saw was Beauty and the Beast. At least they made part of that movie the way they were supposed to, by drawing it. Cartoons are supposed to look flat! 

And I am tired of computer animated films being marketed to adults as well as kids. I am weary of the phrase, "There is a lot of humor in it for adults." Grow up, America, go see  a real movie. If your kids do manage to drag you to a cartoon you ought to have to suffer through it the same way I did when my kids were growing up.

Whether it is a comedy or a drama I want to see movies with real people. (hopefully starting Colin Firth) I'm not talking about one of those movies where the hero somehow manages to kill three or four hundred bad guys while only suffering a few smudge marks himself. I mean movies with dialogue where the characters talk to one another or a film that features some ridiculous premise like newlyweds taking a honeymoon in a long, long trailer that almost falls off a mountain and Lucy gets flour all over her while she attempts to cook dinner while Ricky drives. That's entertainment!

No comments:

Post a Comment