Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The State of the Union is Tonight. Thank Goodness For Joan

Tonight is the State of the Union address. It is preempting the Good Wife
The first president I remember seeing on television was Eisenhower. I don't remember much except that he was interrupting my television shows and you couldn't escape when you only had three channels. 

Thank goodness for cable. Tonight I can watch WE instead. They are premiering Joan and Melisssa. I actually hate to see Joan have to stoop to reality TV. As funny as she is on stage I am afraid she may come off as a little staged here. What am I saying? It's reality TV of course its going to come off as staged.

I know I am being unpatriotic by not watching the president speak. I wouldn't mind that so much if the analysts would just let him give his speech and not pick it apart the minute he is finished. Critical people are so annoying.

Maybe I have blocked it out of my memory but I don't remember the opposing party being given the chance to speak as soon as the president was finished when I was a kid.

I know we have a first ammendment  (it is such a pesky little thing when its rights are extended to people who disagree with me) but the party that didn't win the White House in the presidential election has no requirement to speak so why can't they just buck up and listen. The Constitution only requires the president to give a State of the Union report to Congress. Most presidents just sent the report to Congress. Woodrow Wilson was the first to address a joint session personally and it wasn't until FDR that it was actuallly called the State of the Union. See? You learned something today! (Let's just hope Wikipedia had that right)







Tonight in addition to the president and the Republican response we get that wackadoodle Michele Bachmann giving an adress for the Tea Party. God help us. I will have to catch it later on The Daily Show (the only truth telling organization left in this country). I will be watching Melissa pretend to be irritated at Joan.

No comments:

Post a Comment