Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Quitters

Both Regis and Joe Lieberman announced their retirements this week. I stopped caring long ago.

I was never excited about Joe Lieberman's addition to the Gore ticket in 2000. In fact I thought he brought the ticket down. He and Harry Reid remind me of Droopy. But after his decision to run as an independent he seemed like nothing more than an opportunist to me, using his position in a  narrowly controlled Democratic Senate to bolster his own position. The idea that he might run as a Vice-Presidential candidate alongside John McCain did nothing to endear him to me although he might have saved the nation from having Sarah Palin a heart beat away from the presidency if by some miracle McCain had won the election.

I haven't watched Regis regularly in years. The stories of he and Joy's adventures around Manhattan got tired a long time ago.

I had the opportunity to get a glimpse of one of those evenings up close  a few years ago. I was attending the revival of Into the Woods (starring the incredible Vanessa Williams, one of the only bright spots in that production).

I spotted Regis, Joy and another couple come into the theatre and take their aisle seats in the orchestra section. The instant Regis sat down the lights went out. It was as if the curtain had been held so that Regis could wait till the last possible moment to take his seat.


Part of the fun of going to shows in NYC is that I often spot celebrities in the audience. New York audiences are pretty sophisticated so no one really makes a big deal about it. Most mingle about during intermission without causing a stir. And I have never seen any of them pressed by fans at intermission. Of course I generally have different tastes in shows than Justin Bieber.

It seemed Regis wanted to make sure he didn't have to deal with anyone. He sat in his seat throughout the entire intermission looking straight forward. The minute the house lights came up after the curtain call he and his party bolted back up the aisle and to his limousine. I was seated near the very rear of the orchestra section, far enough back so that I was in the lobby just after they passed through. I overheard a limo driver say, "I've seen him before. He's always like that. He won't talk to anyone." I assumed she was talking about Regis.

I had never witnessed another celebrity enter and leave like that. Most of the others I have seen just enter the theatre inconspicuously and speak politely to anyone sitting nearby that says hello. I have never seen a celebrity mobbed for autographs at a Broadway show, not even Jude Law. When he sat next to me at I Am My Own Wife a few years ago  I just greeted him like I would any other theater goer, with a kiss on the cheek and a little grope. I think he enjoyed it. (Sienna Miller was a little peeved however. I guess she was expecting one too.)

I remember seeing Henry Winkler sitting a few rows behind me as I was taking my seat once. It was early. Few others had been seated. I caught myself saying hello to him like he was someone I knew, forgetting that he would have no way of knowing who I was. (This used to happen to me in Walmart all the time when I was doing more shows with the community theatre. People see you on stage and they assume you know who they are as well.)

 I wouldn't have been close enough to interact with Regis but he didn't give anyone the chance to say hello. I stopped being a fan that day. It couldn't have been much fun for him either having to sit through intermission staring straight forward the entire time. I'm not sure he even talks to Joy anymore except on the days she cohosts.

No comments:

Post a Comment