Thursday, January 13, 2011

I Hate it When I am Right

Maybe I should replace Sylvia Brown, Montel's favorite psychic. Apparently "golden voiced" Ted Williams has already checked into rehab. That was a little quick development even for me. I almost feel bad for writing about him......Almost.

 I mean no one forced him to splatter himself all over my television. The few times I saw him on TV before I switched the channel it was obvious this guy wasn't as "put together" as his handlers would claim. Still I had braced myself for being exposed to him for a few more months.


This is one of the aspects of our society that troubles me most. This insatiable need we seem to have to build people up to watch them fall. Just for the record; I never wanted Ted Williams to be elevated to celebrity status. Why do we have to discover people on You Tube? I prefer the old fashioned way of being discovered; sitting at a lunch counter in tight sweaters the way Lana Turner did.


Remember poor Nancy Kerrigan? She became America's darling after she got whacked in the knee by everyone's favorite trailer park temptress, Tonya Harding, went to the Olympics in sensational Vera Wang skating outfits and then fell from grace when she was overheard muttering that she didn't want to wear her silver medal riding down Main Street USA at Disney World.


Who could blame her? After years of early morning practices, spending a small fortune on coaching fees, ice time and designer skating outfits she finally achieves her goal, wins a medal and  then because of some deal with Disney in which athletes were asked to declare, "I wanna go to Disney World!"  she has to climb in the back of a convertible with a rodent.


One guy I hope doesn't fall from his pedestal soon is The Situation. I'm not sure appearing on Jersey Shore elevates one very high unless your high diving into a pool filled with bimbos and booze but I can't help liking this guy. Despite being put into staged situations at the Jersey Shore beach house he still managed to look like a kid in a candy store when the newest roommate stripped down for him last week. He's either one of the best actors on television or a kid who still manages to reveal a sense of wonder no matter how the producers try to manipulate him.

He made a return visit to  The View  this morning and again I found him refreshing. He seems pretty up front about being a kid that is just trying to get to the big time. I hope he has the smarts to make it. And I hope America has the smarts not to try to make him into more than he claims to be then blaming him when he doesn't meet their expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment