Wednesday, January 5, 2011

How Did Mark McGwire Hurt You?

I am not a baseball fan. Larry and I finally went to a ballgame in the new stadium last spring and stayed for an inning and a half. It was 95 degrees in May and the sun was brutal. There was no way I was going to tan unevenly just to watch a baseball game. But we would have left anyway because the game is bo-o-o-o-ring. I had to take out a new mortgage to finance the cost of a hot dog and a soda. Where is Suze Orman when I need her?

There are few baseball players that ever captured my attention. Mark McGwire was one of them. There was never  time I didn't think he was on steroids. All you had to do was watch one of his post game interviews wearing those sleeveless shirts with arms the size of hams on display to figure it out.

I loved it when he went before Congress and refused to answer the questions they already knew the answer to. They have a lot more important things to investigate like why captains of Navy ships are making homophobic videos. (That guy is gay by the way. No one who makes that many demeaning gay jokes is straight.  It's only a matter of time till he is caught tapping his foot in some mall restroom)

Today the sports writers gave McGwire only 19% of the votes he needed to enter the Hall of Fame.

He didn't break any rules! And he didn't fool anyone with a brain larger than a peanut. .I could have arms the size of cattle and still not be able to hit a ball coming at me at 90 miles an hour. I would be too busy ducking.

I am tired of this country putting people up on pedestals only to knock them down. He will make it into the Hall of Fame someday, probably for his appearance on Mad About You. You might as well forgive him now, you arrogant sports writing asses.

No comments:

Post a Comment