Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Long Live the King!

A few years back I decided I would enjoy the Oscars more if I actually saw as many of the films that were nominated before the ceremony. It didn't help. The broadcast was still one of the most boring shows of the year as they went on and on with one tribute after another.

I have no intention of seeing all the nominated films this year especially since for some insane reason they have decided to nominate 10 films for the last couple of years. Everyone knows that at least 7 of them have no chance in winning.

This year the winner will probably be either The King's Speech or The Social Network. It doesn't really matter to me as long as Colin Firth gets the recognition he deserves as best actor. He always brings great humanity to his roles portraying characters dealing with great personal conflict. I admire his work enormously. I figure since he was nominated for portraying a gay man last year and didnt win and is portraying a monarch with a great human story this year he has a great chance. Go Colin!

And even though I am not usually inclined to root for child actors I have to say I wouldn't be too irritated if Hailee Steinfeld won for her work in True Grit. I could never get interested in the John Wayne version of the film. Something about Kim Darby's portrayal of the role was too perky for me or maybe it was her awful haircut. Hailee's pigtails were much more appealing. She played the role of an adult like, determined young woman intent on avenging her father's death almost matter- of-factly. There was none of that "hey look at me!" attitude that often pervades juvenile performances. I enjoyed it immensely.

1 comment:

  1. If Social Network wins, I am deleting my Facebook account!

    That girl was awesome in True Grit!

    ReplyDelete