Monday, January 10, 2011

I Love These People

In the Heights closed last night and it makes me feel sad. It had a healthy run but it deserved to run for years and years. So many Broadway shows have closed this week. I hope there is something still playing when Larry and I get to NYC next month.

I can't even admit to being the one that wanted to go see it too badly. A couple of years ago on a trip to NYC I insisted that Larry choose one show (although I vetoed the idea of seeing Phantom of the Opera, The Lion King or Mama Mia. I guess he didn't have much to choose from) He suggested In the Heights. I was dubious because I don't generally like rap music. But it has turned out to be one of my favorite shows.

I love the guy in this picture, Seth Stewart. PBS did a documentary on the show that featured a lot of footage about him and his struggles as a dancer, including the sacrifices he endured to perform in the show.

I fell in love with the characters. Tickets to Broadway show are so expensive but it's worth it because you get to relive the memories over and over when you listen to the original cast album. It's so good to see so many of the original cast was there for the closing performance. 

At least there is going to be a movie and Lin-Manuel Miranda gets to play Usnavi, the role he created. I can't wait to see it. I hope he takes along Christopher Jackson, Priscilla Lopez, Andrea Burns and  the others. For now I will have my album.

The link to the Playbill article is here: http://www.playbill.com/news/article/146491-Carnaval-Del-Broadway-In-the-Heights-Wows-Audience-at-Final-Performance

No comments:

Post a Comment