Thursday, August 26, 2010

My Definition of HD tv is not High Definition
















Every time I go to our newly remodeled Walmart (No, the remodel was not worth the trouble it caused me.) I find myself looking at the wall full of HD televisions.

It will be months before I buy one, perhaps years but I am intrigued. I have heard you can count the blades of grass on the football fields and see the players' drops of perspiration. (But wouldn't I actually have to tune in some sort of ball game to see this?).

Then I get home and watch my television and I think to myself, "How much better does my picture need to be?" I can see Thomas Gibson on Criminal Minds very clearly already. And I have to admit he looks pretty darn good.  (So much better than when he was always hanging around that irritating Dharma....no, I do not find quirky appealing.)

You see I still remember when I got my first thirteen inch color television. I watched things I didn't even like just to see what they looked like in color. The NBC peacock had really been pretty useles in black and white.

When I grew up you were content if your television picture didn't have snow, wasn't rolling or the sides of the picture weren't caving in. At our house you had to watch it like that for a few weeks until you had enough money  to call the tv repairmen. (Yes, kiddies there were actually real, live television repairmen back then who came to your house and put in new tubes.)  And you prayed, prayed, prayed that all he had to do was put in one of the smaller ones. The last phrase you wanted to hear was,  "I am afraid you need a new picture tube."

You got three channels and you had to watch your programs at the exact time they were scheduled. And you were grateful you could get all three  channels because Grandma's tv only got ABC. Thank God General Hospital came on there. But you were out of luck if you wanted to know what Lisa was up to on As the World Turns. Erica had not been invented yet and Susan Lucci had yet to pout over her first Emmy loss.

When I do finally buy this HD tv it is the last television upgrade I am going to buy. If they upgrade televisions any further I will expect Julianna Marguilies to show up at my house in person to act out episodes of The Good Wife. And she better bring Alan Cumming and Archie Panjabi with her. (If you don't know who Archie Panjabi is you need a serious upgrade)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have NO clue who this Archie person is, are you not surprised, enlighten me at least. . . .L.

    ReplyDelete