Tuesday, August 31, 2010

How did This Happen to Me?

I don't know who to blame for this. Joy Behar? Judge Mathis? Susan Lucci? Direct TV? But somehow over the course of the last year I have become hooked on All My Children again. 

After I retired I fell into the habit of watching The View every mornig at ten. I would leave the TV on and listen to Judge Mathis while I played games on Facebook or browsed the internet. While I was making lunch I would overhear the sounds of All My Children wafting into the kitchen.

I had been free of the trials and tribualtions of the people of Pine Valley for so long. In fact I didn't even recognize some of them.

But now a terrible thing has happened I actually know who Krystal is and what her relationship to Marissa is. May I just say Marrissa is the mousiest character on daytime TV and there is no way in hell  that she will ever deserve the very hot, Brad Pitt lookalike J. R.

The nasty Liza is back and played by a very striking actress. She even flirted with her daughter's boyfriend just like her own mother would do.

Opal dispenses her down home witticisms. But I sill miss Doothy Lyman in the role.

 Jessie and Angie are back. She is about to go blind. I cannot desert her now.

I still see the plots coming a mile away. I knew the hunky mountain man that rescued Erica from a  plane crash was going to come between her and Jackson. No wonder Erica whisked Jackson off on a pre-wedding world tour so she wouldn't have to confront her attraction to mountain man Caleb. (That and the fact that her contract obviously calls for extended time off since the show has moved to L.A.)

But I still miss the old characters that inhabited Pine Valley when the show was first introduced; Mona, the Martins but especially Phoebe Tyler played by Ruth Warwick. I still remember her referring to one of the many young women she disapproved of dating one of her young relatives. "That woman is dressed for sex!" she declared haughtily. Of course this was all before the advent of Madonnna. Practically everyone on the show is "dressed for sex these days. Or is that the Young and The Restless? Such are the hazards or trying to follow more than one soap.Everyone on the Young and the Restless is always "dressed for sex."

No comments:

Post a Comment