Tuesday, February 22, 2011

When Did Union Become a Bad Word in this Country?

I have to hand it to the school teachers and other public servants in Wisconsin for standing up to the tyranny, yes I say tyranny they are facing. Their governor, Scott Walker appears to me as an arrogant ass.

He not only wants  to cut their pension but prevent them from ever bargaining to regain it in the future. What a guy!

When I was teaching people, even people who had just been introduced to me often would proclaim, "We just don't pay teachers enough!" By the end of my career it was hard for me to just agree politely. I had a hard time resisiting the urge to put my hand out and ask for a donation from them.

Apparently the teachers in Wisconsin negotiated what to the governor was a very beneficial pension plan. Good for them because I can guarantee you if they were given a good pension program during negotiations they lost out on other negotiable items.

When this country suffered through the financial crisis a couple years ago we bailed out the banks, allowing their CEOs and big wigs to keep huge bonuses. Now that the states are in trouble they want to balance their broken budgets on the backs of teachers, municipal workers and firemen.

The Republicans who rarely if ever get endorsements from the teachers' unions love to hold the teachers' unions up as the reason school reform is not working. I would attest that one reason school reform is not working is because the federal and state governments have never fully funded education.

The party of the rich is never going to be pro education. The steady stream of misinformation and half truths that they hear from Fox is much more to their liking.

I hope the protestors in Wisconsin stand firm. I hope that Governor Walker ultimately ends up doing the nation a favor, showing himself for the ass he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment