Sunday, February 6, 2011

An Issue of Great Concern

While the rest of the world watches the turmoil in Egypt something of great concern is happening in this country. Someone has changed the formula for candy hearts. They are now fruit flavored. Fruit belongs on a tree! Not in my bag of candy hearts.

This happened last year but I was able to find a few bags of the old flavors at Dollar General Store. This year even they offered no refuge from the onslaught of fruit flavors that Necco switched to.

I had hoped Necco would come to its senses and swtich back to the old formula this year. For me this was a bigger disaster than that new Coke debaucle a few years ago. Where was the public outcry over candy hearts?

Brachs still makes the old flavors. I can't tell you what the flavors are except that the pink ones taste like Pepto-Bismol and despite the fact that Pepto-Bismol saved my life several tmes as a child I still associate wintergreen flavoring with upset stomachs so I aways pitch the pink hearts. I don't eat the purple ones either. I have yet to identify that flavor.

But the Brachs hearts aren't as chalky and brittle as the Necco hearts are. A friend of mine at church found some of the old style hearts at a farm store nearby and left some on my music stand this morning. That is what I call true Christianity.....looking out for a brother in need. After all life isn't always about the big things. Sometimes its the little things like candy hearts that matter.

1 comment:

  1. I'm outraged by the flavor change, I wanted my chalky hard candy hearts and now I have flavored mush. I think I will mail mine back to Necco.

    ReplyDelete