Tuesday, February 15, 2011

No Wonder I Only Follow Show Tunes

I remember as a kid I always hated the part of music class where the teacher let the class pick what we were going to sing next. Almost any kid they called on would pick some awful awful song. Which is why I have seldom followed the Grammys. I have never found the music most people find popular that interesting. Thanks to the Internet if anything interesting happens at the Grammys  I can watch it the next day.






But this year I tried to watch the show. I did not succeed. I got as far as Justin Bieber. I can't help liking this kid but I can hardly wait till he starts going bald and has to comb all his hair forward.

When Bob Dylan came on I couldn't take it. How did this man become a recording artist? I know he is a great songwriter but as a former teacher I have accidentally heard the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard too often in my life. I don't want to listen to him.

I am sorry I am not "hip" enough (See how uncool I am? I can't even write the word without putting it in quotes) to "get" Lady Gaga. I am not that artsy. I cannot imagine how long she had to rack her brain to come up with the arriving in an egg idea. I do believe she is doing the children of the nation a disservice. Just think how disappointed they are going to be on Easter morning when they open their plastic eggs and the only thing that pops out is a Hershey's kiss. They will still be sobbing throughout Easter service crying, "I want Gaga. I want Gaga."

I recorded the event just so I wouldn't miss Barbra. Initially I was disapointed  that she sang Evergreen I know it won a Grammy for her but It was never one of my favorite Streisand songs.But on rewatching the tape I appreciated the performance more. 

I thought she and Mick Jagger were the highlghts of the show. It was nice to see these veteran performers command the stage without all the production that surrounded the new acts. (If you call a sixty piece orchestra lack of production.)

Surely that is not the real Mick. No man in his late 60s can move like that. He's rich enough to just sit home and hire a lookalike to go perform for him.

Katy Perry looked gorgeous on stage as always but that jeweled bra and the angel wings looked like she was trying to hard on the red carpet.

I loved Joan Rivers take on it on Fashion Police. She thought it was absolutely vindictive for Katy to show up on the red carpet dressed as angel when her ninety year old grandmother was with her. Joan asserted "The poor woman was afraid all night that the angels were "coming to get her....She kept looking for the light"


TheGrammys is the only award show left where people are expected to wear something unique.The fashion is at least fun. I love Joan Rivers but she has intimidated people on all the other red carpets to the point that only a brave few darewear anything interesting. That still doesn't excuse Ricky Martin for showing up in Silver long johns. If he had done that a few years ago he wouldn't have had to bother coming out.












I loved Adan Lamber and  Nicki Minag's style but for some reason I have been fantaszing about my old high school drum major the last few days......

No comments:

Post a Comment