Wednesday, February 23, 2011

How Am I Supposed to Survive Without Stars on Ice?

The Stars on Ice 25th Anniversary Tour does not include St. Louis. They were nice enough to send a personal response to an email I sent expressing my disappointment. The tour was cut back this year because of budget cuts and they hope to restore the St. Louis stop in future years. This does not make my heart swell up with hope.







I attend Stars on Ice regularly. I enjoy the high level of skating but it pales in comparison with the glitz, glamor and sheer gaudiness of the Ice Capades. Scott Hamilton started his own company when the Ice Capades refused to pay him as much as they had paid Dorothy Hamill, claiming that a male skater didn't have the draw of a female.

That is probably true. People have always admired their skating queens. (you will have to insert your own Johnny Weir joke here) Americans adore their Dorothy Hamills, Michelle Kwans and Nancy Kerrigans. So do I but the men's skating is so powerful. It just isn't an ability most other people hold in high esteem I guess.







I wish the Ice Capades had met Scott Hamilton's price. They might have folded anyway but if they had he might not have started Stars on Ice. Despite Stars on Ice bare bones production values it looks like even they are in trouble.

The only big ice shows that survive now are those god-awful Disney on Ice reviews. Even as a kid I hated the children's numbers during the Ice Capades. They never wore sparkly outfits during those numbers. They just put on giant pig heads and skated around trying to avoid the big bad wolf.


This is just another example of how my interests do not mesh with other people's.  I never did seem to enjoy the same thing that other people got so caught up in; The Super Bowl, American Idol, Sarah Palin.

I will admit to climbing on the Justin Bieber bandwagon although that whole new hairdo, uh pardon me, haircut of his has me very upset. Don't grow up, Justin. Stay just the way you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment