Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I Hate Weather

I hate weather. All of it. Even the good weather. What good is it if you can't count on it? In my next life I want to land on a planet with a stable atmosphere or at least somewhere in Camelot. Let's make it Camelot. I love a Lerner and Lowe tune.

Think how much money bad weather cost us. Heating cost, repair cost, the cost of protective clothing, not to mention the cost of all those extra groceries we all buy stocking up for a storm only to end up going out to eat once we realize we aren't  snowed in after all.

I spent the last few days worrying what I would do if I lost power. I wish I had developed a few mechanical skills. My father could do anything. I know every kid believes that of their father but in my case it was true. He was constantly fixing the neighbor's plumbing, autos and doing carpentry jobs for them. My one regret in life is that I didn't follow him around and learn something the way my little brother did. Which means whenever I have any kind of damage I have to  pay to get it repaired.

Thankfully this storm left my property fairly well unscathed unless you count the downed limbs in my yard. I do at least have the ability to pile up brush and set a match to it. I have enough downed limbs here to provide the Boys Scouts of America with firewood for their next Jamboree. I doubt I will be invited. I flunked knot tying back when I was a Tenderfoot. (Yes, I actually know scouting terms)
There is nothing prettier than ice coated trees but only if they haven't fallen on your power lines. I have enjoyed watching the birds on the ice coated limbs searching for the birdseed on the ground.

Rocky hasn't shown himself today. I hope he is ok. But I don't know why I should care. The tree he lives in shed several branches. He was probably up there with a little ice saw trying to do me in. Is there anything sadder on earth than an ungrateful child?

No comments:

Post a Comment