Sunday, November 7, 2010

Why Do These People Need to Advertise?

Like most people I don't like advertisements although I do admit to having an affinity for the Old Spice guy and that cute little girl who  shares the last  fudge stripe cookie with her sister. But lately I see ads from for things that shouldn't need to advertise in the first place.

Shouldn't my doctor know what medicine to prescribe for me? If my eyes are dry, or my legs or restless shouldn't he know what kind of pill would work best for me? When I developed high blood pressure my doctor seemed to know exactly what to do without any prompting.

Most of these ads seem to feature animated characters; people made out of pipes or disgusting looking germs. Aren't fungal toenails ugly enough without some computer animation showing a disgusting little creature?


You can be sure that after you have been on one of these medications long enough some lawyer advertising on TV is going to find a study showing the drug was never thoroughly tested  and encourage you to call him so he can sue the pharmaceutical company. I wouldn't let them know that you were the one that asked your doctor to prescribe it if I were you. He may turn against you as well and  collect the entire fee for himself.


I don't think I would trust a lawyer that had to advertise on television in the first place. I bet Nancy Grace never had to stoop that low. Even without a TV ad she would be the first person I would call if I were victimized. She seems to be quite enamored by the downtrodden of this world. (I can look quite pitiful if called on to do so.)

I don't think Jesus should have to advertise either. I am highly suspicious of pastors that hawk their churches on TV. Does Jesus really need a P.R. man? As a Christian isn't that supposed to be my job? If he is so desperate he needs TV spots and billboards I must be slipping further than I thought.

The only televangelist I ever liked was Tammy Faye especially after she teamed up with Jim J. Bullock for a short lived daytime TV talk show.

The most annoying advertisements I have seen lately have been for the Mormon Church. They are like stealth ads. You're sitting at home, sometimes not even aware an advertisement is running. You think to yourself, "How did I get switched over to the Biography channel?" as someone describes all their varied interests, most of which involve helping the underprivileged. Then you hear them, those four most dreaded words: "And I'm a Mormon."

The activities are all so normal. Why do they feel they have to make sure that we know Mormons do them?


Just once I would like to see an "And I'm A Mormon" ad featuring a family manning the phone banks at Proposition 8 headquarters. Then they wouldn't catch me by surprise. By now we all  know who supported it.

Ah....it's all becoming clear to me. They want to distract us with  their  motorcycle riding, cookie baking and basketball coaching, hoping we'll forget  they have a legislative agenda discriminating against an entire group of people.

Frankly, if I had the same track record on marriage as the Mormon Church I wouldn't want people to know I was trying  to defend it either. It's a little like going to Mel Gibson for sensitivity training.

1 comment: