Saturday, November 20, 2010

Isn't it About Time that Stop Signs Evolved?

If I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the twenty-first century isn't it about time that the single greatest annoyance to mankind evolve as well? I am talking about stop signs. Haven't they just about outlived any usefulness they may have served at one time?

If we can develop traffic lights that can take pictures of people who run them and send them a ticket I think it is time to banish all stop signs, especially four-way stops and create stop lights with sensors that can determine what cross traffic is occurring, if any so I don't have to stop unless absolutely necessary. (You know, like when a policeman is in the vicinity.)




Four-way stops are nothing more than a testament to the obvious indecisiveness of the department of motor vehicles. You can't tell me that at any juncture where a four-way stop is present that one of the roads isn't more important than the other. Obviously the people on the less important road should just have to tough it out until all the traffic on the more important thoroughfare has passed. It should be obvious to everyone including the department of motor vehicles that any road upon which I am currently traveling is the most important.

These new electronic stoplights will save me the annoyance of arriving at a four way stop at the same time as all those well meaning people that feel like they need to negotiate whose turn it is through a series of gestures or sharing the intersection with one of those people who refuse to take their turn and direct me to go when it is clearly their turn. Don't they realize they are only adding to congestion?

The worst offenders are the ones are that get to the four-way stop way ahead of me. They see me coming. They could have been stopped and gone by the time I arrive but they feel some sadistic need to sit there and make sure I am going to stop before they go. Just because I sideswiped their car five years ago doesn't mean I am going to today!

I learned my lesson, I paid my fines (several times) and attended traffic school. Trust me that little Geico gecko is living very well off my inflated insurance rates.

No comments:

Post a Comment