Sunday, November 14, 2010

I May Finally Become a Football Fan

I have only been a true football fan once in my life, in 2000 when Kurt Warner led the Rams to a last minute victory over the Titans. But for most of my life I had no interest in it. I may have to take solace in football this Thanksgiving. The only alternative, clipping coupons and planning an early morning assaut on the stores holds no interest for me.

Black Friday sales following Thanksgiving Day have been around for a while but lately the promotion for these events rivals the build up to the Super Bowl. At the family gathering I attend we barely have time to offer up a prayer of thanks and serve up the turkey and dressing without hearing everyone's plan of attack for the big shopping day ahead. As soon as the cool whip is plopped on the Pumpkin pie the paper is devoured looking for sales.

There wont be any viewing of any holiday specials that evening, everyone is off to bed early so they can be up before the crack of dawn to fight off the crowds hoping for a chance at an HDTV. The fact that there are already two in the house won't deter them.

I have gotten to the point that I feel like a prisoner in my own home on Black Friday, unwilling to go anywhere where the crowds of holiday shoppers are clogging up traffic.


I think  it is great that we can count on Christmas sales to revive a faltering economy. It's kind of nice to know that the one thing that can help lift us out of recession is giving to others. But can't we take one day to be Thankful for what we have before we start planning what we are going to buy next?

1 comment:

  1. GOOD post. To each his own on "sales" huh? At least two men at the gathering won't be looking at the sale ads, just the newspaper itself-ha!

    ReplyDelete