Monday, November 22, 2010

I am Thankful

I am thankful this year for the same thing I am always thankful for; my girls. They are unique, talented, bright and beautiful.


I love Megan's spirit and vision. Even when she is equipped with nothing more than a simple camera she can capture images that no one else sees. This is the mark of a true artist.


I remember that her mother used to have a Barry Manilow quote on display about having the courage to live life creatively. I have never had that ability, allowing fear to shape too many of my decisions. But Megan has always had the courage to live her life on her terms. I admire her for that.


I also admire the fact that she is deep. How someone with a father as shallow as I am managed this I will never know. But I hold her in the highest regard.


I have had the pleasure not only of living with her when she was a child but for a couple of extended periods I have had the pleasure of living with her as an adult and I must say she makes a wonderful companion.


Emily has more friends than anyone I know. Probably because she brings such light to every moment of every day.


Emily is an incredible performer. Everything she does on stage she does with an incredible ability to internalize it so that it never seems "put on" but wonderfully motivated. I would like to think it came from all those years of watching me but I was never as good as she is. It would kill me to admit this if she were not my daughter. At least I can take partial  credit for that.


I love the fact that Emily is as incredibly soft as she is strong. She is never hesitant to share her opinion but is equally as sensitive with an ability to bring great understanding to relationships.


Both of these incredible young women have great wisdom in so many areas.

 
I am a lucky, lucky father to have two such amazing daughters.


I do regret that I am not with them this Thanksgiving. But I am so pleased to know that they are together in Portland.

 When I bow my head to give thanks over my meal this Thursday I will have many blessings to remember but it will be my daughters that I am most thankful for, this year and every year.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Gary! I truly am in awe of your two girls, much so, the times I have been with them and around them. I am PROUD that you saw fit to "post this" in their honor and I DO believe they are and can be proud to have you as their Father also. I know I would be proud to write something about my boys this heartwarming. I too hope they know how proud I am to be their Father. But this post isn't about my sons. It is about your beautiful girls. THANKS for sharing with me and others here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That was wonderful, and your daughters really are amazing young women! Congratulations! So glad to see how proud you are of them and each one's own strengths! You do truly have a lot to be thankful for! Happy Thanksgiving, Gary!

    ReplyDelete