Monday, June 20, 2011

Does Everyone Who Disagrees With Jesus Burn in Hell?

I hope it is okay to disagree with Jesus and still avoid  burning in Hell because lately one of his sayings is bothering me. At one point I know he said something about where two or three are gathered there he would be also. I take that to mean he didn't care where Christians gathered but surely he didn't realize that some of his twenty-first century followers were going to start building churches out of tin.

I am not talking about people who can't afford anything better. I am talking about some of these mega churches I see sprouting up that are no more than glorified pole buildings. Having just put a metal roof on my  house, I am probably asking to be struck by lightning by even bringing up the subject. After this post I may soon find out. I can't help it. I think Jesus deserves a better home than a metal shed no matter how much ground it is sprawled over. The guy was born in a stable. Don't you think that's enough humiliation for one lifetime?

The people building these monstrosities could afford better. They could afford brick. They could afford stained glass but if they build out of tin they can afford to make the place big enough for a gym, a stage and large halls for baby showers and wedding receptions. If they don't spend money on brick and mortar they can fill their sanctuary (I am sure they have a cutesie name for that like worship center) with all kinds of the latest high tech projection screens and sound equipment, all of which will be outdated by the time they are installed.

I can only imagine what the inside of these places is like because I have no intention of ever stepping foot inside of one. Any church that includes a gym is not for me. There is no reference to Jesus playing handball, basketball or hockey in any of the four gospels. I am quite sure though at some point after a hard day of multiplying loaves and fishes he broke into a show tune. After all he was Jewish. And the only people that love a show tune as much as the gays are the Jews.

But it church isn't about what Jesus wants any more is it? It's all about us.Why invest in stained glass? Someone might actually have time to pause and reflect during worship, inspired by another person's attempt to create something that glorifies God when they could be watching images of all the people in the congregation having birthdays that week on a jumbotron.

Unless you are under ten or over ninety Jesus does not care about  your birthday and neither do I. I don't remember him attending any birthday parties. He only attended one wedding as far as I know and all he seemed to be interested then was the wine. Come to think of it the guy was a little hung up on the stuff, making sure he had some on hand for his last meal. He probably would fit right in on the last hour of the Today Show with Hoda and Kathie Lee. Please Kathie Lee do NOT take that as an endorsement.

No comments:

Post a Comment