Friday, September 9, 2011

Seriously....How Hard is it to Count to Twenty?

I just returned from Hell on Earth....otherwise known as Walmart and made the unfortunate mistake of getting in the express checkout lane.  I know. I know I should know better but it was a slow day and I decided to live dangerously.

With fear and trepidation I approached the express checkout lane. There was only one man in front of me. I am old enough and wise enough to realize that the fact that there is only one person in front of you at the express does not guarantee a speedy exit from America's retail champion.

I was right of course. He had more than twenty items. That wouldn't have been so bad but of course he and the checkout lady were discussing each one of them. Then he had to buy tobacco, chewing tobacco of course which probably explains the fact he didn't have enough intelligence to read the sign that says 20 items or less or to count that high since he wasn't barefoot. I just assume anyone that is still buying chewing tobacco is someone that has family back home in Appalachia they are trying to support.

Why do they have those signs up if they aren't going to enforce them?

And why do they always seem to assign check out ladies to the express lane that have no sense of urgency? Unfriendliness  and efficiency should be job qualifications for running the express checkout lane. Most of the time when I want to use the express lane I don't have time for friendly checkout people. I do think this woman was working as fast as she could. She seemed incapable of processing anything quickly.

Thank goodness I now have this blog because I did not have to resort to surliness in line to vent my frustration. In fact in a sick sort of way I actually welcomed the experience today because it gave me something to write about. Aren't you glad?

No comments:

Post a Comment