Saturday, September 3, 2011

How I Got Through My Summer

Thanks to having 300 channels on my Direct TV I no longer have to put up with as many summer reruns as I had to as a kid growing up.

A few shows have helped me get through the summer without having to resort to tuning in to Piers Morgan at 8 o'clock, something I only do if I am in the mood to be thoroughly annoyed by his arrogance.

On Bravo's Flipping Out Jeff Lewis is snide, arrogant and difficult to please. No wonder I feel a great affinity with him. It took me a couple seasons to realize that a lot of his irritating behavior comes from a very dry sense of humor.

A friend stopped me in Walmart a couple weeks ago to tell me that I reminded her a lot of Jeff. Thank goodness I finally realized that Jeff had  a few redeeming qualities before she shared this with me or I would have locked myself away in the frozen food department until science came up with a cure for obnoxious behavior.


I did miss the cat fights between Jeff and his former business partner and former lover this season. But his new boyfriend and co-worker, Gage is awfully cute. I wonder how much Bravo has to pay  this guy to "date" Jeff.







I also enjoyed Rocco's Dinner Party this summer even though cooking shows always make me hungry. Each week Rocco invites three chefs to his townhouse for a quick challenge. The two who survive prepare a dinner party for his guests. The winner gets $20,000. Rocco had an ingratiating habit of eliminating the chef that thought they were superior to the others during the preliminary challenge. Chef after chef left the townhouse disarmed and dismayed that they had been the one to go.

He usually didn't tell the chefs until they were in the middle of slicing up the prime rib or grilling an expensive steak that one of the guests was a vegetarian just so he could see how well they could adapt.

Personally, if that bitch Sandra Bernhardt showed up at my dinner party and didn't announce until the last minute that she was a vegetarian I would just tell her I hoped she had some tofu stuffed under her hairy armpit (I am sure women like Sandra Bernhardt don't carry purses)  because she wouldn't find any in my kitchen. She was the most annoying dinner guest Rocco had all season. She didn't like anything they put in front of her. The woman is not attractive enough to be picky! I would love to have seen her puff up her pouty lips at my mom's meatloaf. If they weren't protruding enough already they would be after my mom smacked her in the face with the frying pan she had just used to fry up the pork chops.

Melissa and Joey on ABC Family is a generic sitom, a mix between Who's the Boss?, The Nanny and just about any other 60s sitcom but the cast is so engaging that they pull it off. Or maybe I just enjoy seeing how small a t-shirt they can pour Joey Lawrence into each week. Keep trying, ABC. He hasn't burst the seams of any of them yet.

The kids on this show are very talented too, especially Nick Robinson who plays Melissa's nephew. Christopher Rich from Reba has also made a few guest appearances this season. I have loved him ever since he appeared in the short-lived series The Charmings.


But I think the thing that keeps me fascinated most about Melissa and Joey is seeing just how weird Joey's hairline is going to become week after week. Apparentlyhe is going through hair transplant sugery and the doctor messed up his hairline. They keep spackling his head to make the hair appear more prominent but so far it has looked the strangest when his hair started growing back. No one has hair that thick unless they work in a carpet factory and have to carry samples around on their head.


But the one show I am most grateful for this summer has been Fashion Police. Every week Joan Rivers proves she is still the funniest woman in America as she shocks her young co-hosts with crude comments that no one under 70 could get away with.

I will never understand how Kelly Osbourne became a fasion expert. Her only qualification as a fashion icon seems to be that all her tattoos are positioned correctly on whatever body part she chose to mar.

Thank goodness for George Kotsiopoulis. Joan needs a little gay guru by her side and no one can fawn over Joan  with a cuter grin than George.

No comments:

Post a Comment