Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My Letter to the Editor

This sign is not the one I am referring to here. I refuse to take a picture of it. The sign I refer to states, "We believe marriage is between one man and one woman."

Don't therapists tell you to write a letter when something is irritating you? Well I finally wrote a letter to the editor about the Trinity Church sign today and am sharing it here.

 Apparently I forgot the part about tearing the letter up before you send it but I tried  to be positive. Do you people realize how much energy that takes? I am exhausste and I have no idea if I am successful. I guess I will find out when the Plaindealer hits the streets next week but at this point my blog may have more readers. (I can only dream)


I enjoy reading church signs. I like seeing what creative ways congregations come up with to encourage people to attend. I may have to give up this practice because I felt personally affronted by the message outside Trinity church recently stating they believed marriage was between one man and one woman.
It was like a punch to the gut and I am not even married.  I assume they don’t welcome divorced people either. I should thank them for the warning I suppose. When I go to church I want to hear about all the love God has in store for me, not what benefits one particular group feels I am entitled to and what is reserved for others.  I was taught that God is Love. We sang it over and over in the conservative congregation I grew up in.
 As a child I had no idea how conservative my church was. It certainly wasn’t the divisive, mean spirited conservatism we see being promoted today. We were not so much conservative as fundamental I suppose. We stuck to the basics. The good news Christ had for us. Thank goodness. My Sunday School teachers focused on how much we were loved and how we needed to share that love with others by inviting them to church and making them feel welcome.
There are so many positive aspects of Christianity that could be shared on a church sign. A world that needs to know God loves them unconditionally. Why would anyone want to alienate people on their church sign?
Gary  Cox

1 comment:

  1. I empathise (sp.-?) Gary. I also know it took alot of energy to write this from your heart. I only hope that your local newspaper will print your comments and then, encouragement from the community of Sparta and beyond after the people read your Letter to the Editor. Kudos to you for your courage, I only wish I had such on my end!

    ReplyDelete