Sunday, September 26, 2010

It Isn't a Vacation if You Don't Take Silly Snapshots.

In 1988 our family took our longest road trip ever. Somewhere in the Petrified Forest the heat must have gotten to me because we took the first in a series of ridiculous pictures. They began with me trying to lift one of the petrified trees off the ground, getting angry, kicking it and holding my foot in agony. Since then when I travel I look for ridiculous photo opportunities.

On the beach in Seaside Oregon this week I couldn't resist imitating Bettie Page. I had watched a biopic of her on the Independent Film Channel the weekend before the trip. I don't remember Bette Paige appearing to be nine months pregnant in any of her photos. Of course she did do all of her work before Demi Moore posed naked and pregnant for Vanity Fair.





I don't remember what the food is like at Camp 18, an old logging mine  that now hosts a restaurant but they have great wooden carvings you can have all kinds of fun with. Larry wouldn't pose in a silly position for one but I caught him when his guard was down.









Megan took us to the Rose Garden in Portland. The sight of a huge red rose inspired my inner munchkin to come out. Thank goodness nobody was blowing bubbles nearby or my inner Glinda may have appeared as well. I don't have the dress or the crown for it anyway.










We had a lovely dinner our last night in Portland at Kennedy School, an old school which a local company has turned into a restaurant, movie theatre, performance and meeting space. Local artists have created wonderful artwork for the hallways including intricate Byzantine style tile work. Of course I couldn't resist "stepping into" one of the paintings for a photo op.





Megan's boyfriend, Alex tried to balk but Megan assured him there was no getting out of it and he acquiesced quickly and painlessly (I hope). I must admit that of the four of us I have the best 'grip' on my streamer.










I realize of course that my tendency to find unusual photo opportunities prevents me from ever visiting the White House again. Since the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and The Pentagon  the Secret Service has completely lost its sense of humor.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, I saw your photos and I'd like to use one of them -the one with the roses- to illustrate a very short horror tale, just in case you agree. Thank you so much.
    If you want to take a look my blog is neverdrinkwine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to use it. Glad to be of service....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here it is http://neverdrinkwine.blogspot.com/2011/04/o-manto-encarnado.html
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete