Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Maybe Charlie Sheen was Just Building up to Fat Tuesday

Let's not judge Charlie Sheen too harshly. Maybe he is just getting ready for Lent. After all today is Fat Tuesday and maybe h,e like millions of Americans is just going out on one more binge before Lent.

Who am I kidding? Neither Charlie or most Americans has any intent on giving up anything for Lent. I don't. I am not now and never have been into symbolism.

The first time I remember anyone mentioning symbolism was in Sophomore English when some girl climbed up to the top of  a tree in a short story we were reading and it was supposed to stand for something a great deal more prolific. I didn't care then and I don't care now. I am sure this was not the first time an English teacher had tried to explain the concept but it was the first time I paid a little attention at least.

The Streets of Soulard in St. Louis were filled with Mardis Gras revelers last weekend. At least I assume they were. I went once, on a Saturday after the parade was over. The crowd had abated somewhat by then but I didn't see what the attraction was. Beads you could buy for yourself at any novelty shop and beer?

Maybe I should have learned to appreciate the taste of beer but I never did. It isn't that I am opposed to drinking. I just don't see the point. Alcohol loosens you up I know. But quite frankly in any given day I am apt to conduct myself in ways I regret without being under the influence of alcohol or illicit drugs. I don't even like the fact that I have to take blood pressure medicine.  

And I can guarantee you that the same group of people that were on the streets of Soulard last weekend will be Downtown St. Louis this weekend for The Saint Patrick's Day parade. Couldn't churches in the  area just save a little electricity and cancel their Ash Wednesday services this week? What is the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment