Monday, July 7, 2014

I'm Pretty Sure Jesus Deserves his Name Above the Title

You want to know why society is going heck in a hand basket? Here's one theory.

Jesus can't even get top billing at Vacation Bible School! I have noticed this trend for several years now. VBS is always touted as a rain forest adventure, a jungle safari or (heaven help the creationists) a science lab!

As a kid I loved Vacation Bible School and I was never turned off by the fact that the theme included the name of Jesus or mentioned God.
...
Isn't this false advertising? Why do we have to lure kids in under false pretenses? 

I know. I'm old. I'm a relic (Hey! The Lost Relic would make a great theme!) but spare me the "We have to do something to appeal to the kids" remarks. How lucky was I not to grow up in the Nintendo generation?

The lure of crafts, refreshments and the opportunity to perform in the closing program were enough to lure me to church for two weeks each summer....YES I said TWO WEEKS....not that I'm volunteering to work even the ONE week VBS is being held at my church.....I never said I wasn't a hypocrite.


No comments:

Post a Comment